Okay, so I seriously can't let this go. The Tiger Mom intrigues me, what can I say! (Yes, I am using more big words again that I have trouble spelling.)
The list of no-nos the Tiger Mom has really interests me. Some of them, I completely understand. Some of them make no sense at all. Some of them are just plain un-American. But I guess that is the point.
Tiger Mom's List of No-Nos plus my comments
• attend a sleepover Totally justifiable. I think children could live their whole lives without this. It is a bit harsh, but really, there are a lot of crazies out there, and some of them are disgusted as perfectly normal looking parents. No big loss here.
• have a playdate Sorry, I'm from the sticks I guess. Who makes dates for their children. Really? Send them over to a neighbors house, have the kids come over for a while after school, but don't call it a play date.
• be in a school play Don't really understand this one. Don't understand the evil behind theater arts. It was my favorite class in school. You don't want them to be confident, entertaining, and have to memorize long bits of literature. : P is all I have to say.
• complain about not being in a school play All for it! You shouldn't complain!
• watch TV or play computer games And now you have brought up your child to be completely out of touch with most other Americans, but that's okay. You can live without theses too!
• choose their own extracurricular activities Boo! Obvious, since they can't even be in a school play, but, of course, parents should approve all these things.
• get any grade less than an A Yeah, well, I have to say okay to this one. What happens if they don't? I worry about the answer.
• not be the No. 1 student in every subject except gym and drama Shouldn't this depend on the class and the classmates therein. You can't expect to be best at everything, especially with competition. What if they were twins?
• play any instrument other than the piano or violin What exactly is wrong with other instruments. Many of which are much harder to play. I like a good trombone solo.
• not play the piano or violin. Yeah, okay. Fun times.